Previously known as V.J.Hospital, Amritsar, this hospital was opened in 1891. To commemorate the 300 birth anniversary of Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital in November 1975 by the Punjab Government.It is one of the best hospitals in the state. The facilities available in the hospital are: specialized medical consultation and treatment, specialized surgical treatment including heart and lung surgery, abdominal and urological surgery and paediatrics’ and orthopedic surgery, specialized treatment in obstetrics and gynaecology, Including advanced cancer surgery, tubal surgery and research in various aspects of the subject, radiology and routine cataract and glaucoma surgery, E.N.T. E.C.G., etc. It has 951 beds (504 for males and 447 for females).The hospital is manned by 13 doctors, 365 nurses and other class III and class IV staff. A Blood bank is also functioning in this hospital.
The number of outdoor and indoor patients treated in the hospital, during 1986-87 was 2,28,908 and 45,504,respectively.
The hospital was started in 1936. It has 255 beds (155 for males and 100 for females). The medical facilities provided in the hospital include treatment of tuberculosis and chest diseases .Facilities for minor surgical operations and routine laboratory investigation are also available in this hospital. In addition to X-ray, facility of tomography and bronchography is also available.
The hospital is manned by 14 Doctors, 5 House Surgeon, 29 Nursues, besides, other class 3rd and 4th class staff. The number of outdoor and indoor patient treated in the hospital, during 1986, 1987 was 16, 906 and 2,239 respectively.
Punjab Government Dental College and Hospital, Amritsar
The hospital was started in 1952. It has ten beds both for males and females. all type of dental medical facilities are available in the hospital. it is manned by 25 Doctors, and 6 Nurses, besides other class 4th staff. The number of both outdoor and indoor patients treated in the hospital, during 1986-87 was 60,338.
Punjab Mental Hospital, Amritsar
This Hospital was opened in 1949. It is the only institution of its type in the Punjab and also caters to the need of the neighboring states. It has 811 beds (512 males and 299 for females). In addition to these, there are 100 beds in the O.P.D. family care Units of the hospital.
The medical facility provided by the hospital are: family care unit, psychotherapy, occupational therapy, child guidance clinic, addiction clinic, and electro convulsive therapy, etc. The hospital is manned by 14 Doctors, 23 Nurses, besides other miscellaneous staff.
The number of indoor and outdoor patients treated in the hospital, during 1986 was 2,480 and 41,140, respectively